Build your toast for a convenient, balanced and sustainable meal, replete in fibre, good fats, protein, vitamins & minerals.
Step 1: Choose your bread – wholegrain or sourdough is ideal. Gluten free is necessary if you have Coeliac Disease, a gluten intolerance, or if you are following a low FODMAP diet.
Step 2: Choose your topping (each suggestion is one serve)
1. ½ cup blueberries and 2 tablespoon low fat cream cheese, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
2. 1/4 avocado, variety of chopped tomatoes, boiled or poached egg, salt and pepper. Add bonus greens such as spinach and basil.
3. 50g lean ham, 1 slice of low fat cheese, sliced tomato, ½ bunch asparagus steamed in the microwave for 1 minute.
4. 2 tbsp low fat cream cheese, 50g smoked salmon, sliced cucumber, and rocket
5. 110g can of drained four-bean mix, 4-6 olives and ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese
6. 1 tablespoon nut butter, topped with 1 sliced banana and a dust cinnamon
7. 2 slices low fat cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons canned corn kernels, sliced tomato, thin spread avocado. Spread avocado, add corn, tomato, top with cheese and place under hot grill until cheese melted and golden brown.
8. 50g shredded BBQ chicken, ¼ avocado, 1 slice low fat tasty cheese, handful spinach leaves.
9. 95g canned tuna in spring water, drained. Mix with 1 tbs natural yoghurt, ½ cup corn kernels, diced capsicum and cucumber. Add fresh or dried herbs such as dill.